School Days are Here Again!


Well, here we are again at the beginning of the school year! I remembered to get a picture of the kids on their first day, but I forgot to have them set down their bags, take off their backpacks, etc. So it has historical accuracy, but no staging, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, most of my kids are opposed to having their picture taken. The older boys are in a state or resignation, Judah even smiles, because he tries to be a nice young man. Monica, the most photogenic, is always willing to have her picture taken. Elena is shy when she feels put on the spot. Phinehas has his customary picture-taking scowl (somewhat leavened by the excitement he's was undoubtedly feeling about his first day in 3rd grade). So here are my 9th grader (First Year of Highschool!), 8th grader, 5th grader, 3rd grader and 1st grader! 








This is the entire high school class at Paideia (9th and 10th) - Judah on the far right. 
This is Elena when she thought the color by numbers was a dot to dot, first thing in the morning. 
Since going to school is old-hat to all of the others, I was mostly concerned with Elena's first day of school experience. She was very excited to go, but she is rather shy and definitely a perfectionist. If she doesn't know exactly how to do something and can't immediately get an explanation, her countenance crumples and she might cry. While she might always be a bit of a perfectionist, we're hoping that this year at school she can learn to stay positive and ask for help. Her first week wasn't dramatic. Some of it was good, some of it was difficult, but it ended on a positive note, so I think we can be optimistic going forward.

The other kids all had great first weeks. And now Phinehas and Monica are signed up for the extra-curricular theater class that happens after school two days a week and Judah is signed up for the extra-curricular running class that happens during the same time (he figured he might as well, since we would be there anyway). So lots of lunch packing for yours truly!

If you are wondering, as many people seem to be, what I'm going to do with myself during those school mornings (almost 4 hours all to myself, 4.5 days a week) - the answer is that I'm not quite sure. This being the first week, and a short week at that, I don't quite know what a "normal" week is going to look like. My initial thoughts are this: I have an additional elementary student needing significant oversight and help with her homework this year, and the other two could use a more involved parent making sure they're actually studying enough and not losing their memory work all the time - so, in addition to the aforementioned lunch packing, I'm planning on shifting some of my normal afternoon things into the morning, like dinner prep and possibly going for a walk/exercising. Additionally, I'm planning on doing more regular bible study. Also, I'd really like to get more gardening done and there are lots of projects around the house that I've been putting off "until all the kids go to school." Whether I actually do those projects or not, is anyone's guess - I DID actually clean out the closet under the stairs yesterday, so it's not completely unlikely that I will get some other stuff accomplished in the coming months. So, no major changes on the horizon - I just want to do what I'm already doing, only better. :-)

Needless to say, I'm relishing the opportunity to go shopping all by myself. Though, to be honest, it was a little bitter sweet going to Winco without Elena this week - I almost always take at least one "helper" with me to Winco, and while it was quicker, easier, and less stressful all by myself, it did feel like it was missing something - or someone. Still, I could get used to it. And if I need a corrective for my sentimentality, I could always borrow my two year old niece (who is sweet as can be, mind you) to take shopping with me!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unexpected Houseguest

When you go to a wedding...

February 2020